The Government of India has made it mandatory to link your PAN card with Aadhaar. The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) in its notification on September 28 extended the deadline from September 30 to December 31 for linking of PAN with Aadhaar.
As per the CBDT, people who fail to link their PAN with Aadhaar before the end of the deadline will not be able to file their income tax and their PAN will no longer be operative. With just a few hours to go, it’s a good idea to check your PAN and Aadhaar linking status to make sure that you do not face any issues later.
How to check PAN-Aadhaar linking status through e-filing website
- Go to the Income Tax Department’s official website using your browser.
- Look at the quick links section on the left sidebar and click on the ‘Link Aadhaar’ option.
- At the top, you will find a blinking ‘Click here’ button to check your PAN-Aadhaar linking status. Click on the button.
- You will then be redirected to a page where you have to enter your PAN and Aadhaar number.
- Once you have entered the required details, click on ‘View link Aadhaar status’.
- If you have linked your PAN with Aadhaar, you will get a message saying ‘Your PAN is linked to Aadhaar Number’ followed by the last four digits of your Aadhaar card.
If you get a message saying that you haven’t linked your PAN with Aadhaar, you can follow our guide on how to link your PAN with Aadhaar.
How to check PAN-Aadhaar linking status via SMS
In addition to checking PAN-Aadhaar linking status via the e-filing website, you can also use SMS to check the status.
- In your messaging app, type UIDPAN (space) <12 Digit Aadhaar> (space) <10 Digit PAN>.
- Send this message to 56161 or 567678.
If you have already linked your PAN and Aadhaar, you will get a message informing you about this. If you haven’t linked them yet, you will get a message saying that your PAN and Aadhaar have been linked.